Monday, April 27, 2020

Mining in Alaska

Audrey Thakur

Why the Last Frontier is a BIG Concern...

     This past summer, I went on a cruise to Alaska. At first I was not that excited because like everyone else, the only thing I knew about The Last Frontier was that there are eskimos living in igloos and it is close enough to Russia that some people can see it from their backyard (which is not true by the way, I cruised along the coast and never got a glimpse of Russia or anything else for that matter).  However, once I made it to the the most cold and remote state in the United States, I was actually intrigued and I immediately fell in love with it. With it's gorgeous wilderness and mesmerizing glaciers, how could anyone think such a place was boring? After returning from my fabulous adventures of climbing mountains and zip-lining between trees deep in the forest, I was so fascinated that I continued to research and learn about the beautiful state.  Which brings me to present day, where is discovered a MAJOR issue that is destroying the environment I once enjoyed. 

I actually took this picture (it's gorgeous right?!)

Now, I know most people are not as passionate about Alaska as I am, but that's OK. I mean, it's so far away that it's kind of out of sight and out of mind. But, through this blog I want to educate you guys a little bit more about what's going on in Alaska and how it's environment is in danger (just because it's so far away doesn't mean it doesn't face the same issues as the states on the mainland). Alaska is rich in natural resources, specifically zinc, lead, copper, silver, gold, coal, etc. Because of this, the state is heavily mined. There are many mining industries that are based in Alaska in order to get the most rich and valuable materials. But, as we learned in our APES class, mining takes a HUGE toll on the environment and it is rare that a habitat will ever be the same after being mined. Currently, there is a gold and copper mine off of the Kamishak Bay that transports its materials through a corridor in the Alaskan wilderness. This causes a high risk to the inhabitants in the Alaskan wilderness as their home is being stripped away and destroyed. 

I also took this picture of a famous glacier in Alaska 

This issue has actually made headlines for years, but like I said earlier, the average person does not really read much about Alaska. This area is home to many bears, wolves, and the water is full of sockeye salmon. The mining that takes place in this region is concerning to many people because it pollutes the water and will ultimately destroy one of the biggest salmon producers in the region (I've had this Alaskan salmon, and it is good enough to fight back and prevent mining in this area). While the pollutant issue is concerning, an even bigger issue is how these companies transport their materials. In order to get these materials from the remote wilderness of Alaska to other parts of our country, they have to construct long corridors through the wilderness with gasoline pipelines and other harmful chemicals. Not only is the wildlife in danger, but this corridor is very close to two national parks: Katmai and Lake Clark which will also be affected immensely. The spill of toxins and other chemicals could put plants and animals in danger for miles. People are also upset about this topic because this is one of the only rich and natural wildernesses left in the country, and mining could ruin it. 

Kamishak Bay and the Pebble Mine Facility

As you have read, mining in the Alaskan wilderness presents many problems besides habitat loss. Places like the beaches surrounding the waters and National Parks are greatly affected by this activity.  Many scientists have protested the construction of mining facilities in Alaska along with the Natives of the state. There are simply too many risks to creating a mining facility in the remote wilderness (In my opinion and hopefully yours too after reading this, the goods just don't outweigh the bad in this scenario). More and more people are starting to notice this issue and are speaking up about it. I know that because this place is so far away, it is easy to forget about these issues and assume that the Alaskan ecosystems are in not danger. But, I encourage you to put a little more thought into this great state and consider how we can help turn it around. Because after all, it is one of the most neglected states in the country...besides Wyoming, of course (seriously, have any of you guys ever met someone from Wyoming? No? My point exactly). If we all put in a little more consideration, we can help preserve the environment for many more years to come. 

Discussion Questions:
-Have you ever had a vacation that you weren't looking forward to but then actually enjoyed it once you got there? If so where? 
-Do you think that big industries should continue to create mines in Alaska?
-What do you think is the most dangerous factor in mining industry?

Sources:
About the Alaska Mining Industry: https://www.akrdc.org/mining
The Pebble Mine project and it's consequences: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/risky-plan-to-haul-minerals-from-mine-in-alaskan-wilderness/
About the Wildlife in Alaska: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/aknatureandscience/akwildlife.htm


1 comment:

Lauren Thakur said...

I am usually excited to go everywhere we go, but a couple summers ago when my parents said we were going to California, I wasn't really that interested. I knew it would be fun, but while I was on the trip, I didn't know that it was going to be that exciting and I actually had a really good time. While I think it is hard to stop big industries from mining in Alaska, I think that if we cannot prevent them from moving out of Alaska, we should put more restrictions on their mining systems, such as different approaches that aren't as exposed to the wilderness and wildlife. I think the most dangerous factor about the mining industry is that it harms the animals and their habitats. Mining is a very interrupting industry and takes a lot of open space that spills into animals territories. I think it is best to protect them and think smarter about how we can continue to mine for our needs but also take the animals needs into consideration as well.

Wind or Solar Power?

Wind or Solar Power? Shantanu Vinchurkar Our society has begun to use more renewable resources after learning the negative impacts of non...